Tuesday 21 August 2018

It's Alright, Everything's OK


-->
I think there are lots of things to really like about this show.
It’s a strange show formally – which is I think where other critics stumbled when watching it – there is a twenty minute sequence at the beginning which feels a bit like an odd bit of motivational speaking that unceremoniously blurs into an apocalyptic nightmare of the end of the world – but that’s precisely what I liked about it. It’s got lots of visual wit and a bit of a swagger to it and it seems to evoke an incredible amount of atmosphere out of a bit of darkness and some LEDs.
The two performers are brilliant and the direction and writing by James Nash, is at times, really exceptionally fun and lucid. One of them loses an arm in the dark (a delightful amount of darkness for a Fringe show – which is an immediate demonstration of swagger I’d say) and I laughed my head off.
And actually, I think Matt Trueman’s review can go eff off, really, because there is nothing student-y about this, whatever the hell that means. This company deserves more money, would be my only response to that, because with a bit of budget and a bit of clout behind them, I think they could really push their strange, visual style even further.
Certainly, it’s not perfect – but who is with no money. What this play lacks for in polishedness it more than makes up for in ideas. Oh, and the sound design is great. Very loud and abstract and a bit odd.
There’s a pull-quote, if ever I heard one:  Very loud and abstract and a bit odd.



A year after starting the blog here, I realised that Blogger is quite an unaccountably shit site and I wanted a prettier one, so I've moving to a Wordpress over here. Please do follow me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment